James Brock

• Rule Brittania!
    • View Profile
Brock's Pre-Beta Opinion of the new Development Blog
« on: June 24, 2019, 10:55:48 pm »
Good evening folks,

first of all before I start off I would like to give a big thanks to Marks, Balgy, and Richard. The development progress has so far been very gratifying for me.

Anyway in the current state everything definitely looks much better than the placeholders we had before, my favorite aspects of the game so far just for the record have been the art, buildings and the lighting, they all look phenomenal.

Some of the things I like include:

- I'm a big fan of the system where the camera tilts to the side while you're aiming and in melee I think that's a very good quality of life improvement.

- Sapper mechanics look very good and relatively polished, just the UI that needs a bit of work.

- The fife music in the end really did sound spectacular, not the computer generated music that Holdfast uses bleh.

Improvements:
(Take it with a grain of salt, it is for the most part subjective)

- My biggest pet peeve however would be the animations. Once again for the most part I am satisfied with the animation set however I feel I could very much help improve certain ones of the set shown so far. In particular the advance arms. Richard I would be very happy to spend some time with you in the near future to speak about how some of these animations could be improved. I'm still very happy with the progress you've made so far though, cheers.

- Apart from animations I have to say I do strongly agree and quote a reply from the development update thread. I am not happy with the mechanic of jumping while attacking and defending, I feel in the forthcoming future, this mechanic would work very poorly with players and I feel it would take out a very important gameplay narrative that most would expect from this type of game. I think many feel the same about this.

- Personally not a very big fan of the flags being used as bayonets. Just personal preference I do not like that very much, flags don't have to be useful in the game they are in fact flags and should be used as such. Save this mechanic for Serjeants pikes.

- When it comes to walking, I personally feel the arms swing a little too much. I feel a 10 to 20% reduction in the swing would be sufficient.

Thanks to everyone, more to come.

Brock
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:01:27 pm by James Brock »

Marks

• Im sorry Momma, but this what freedom looks like..
    • View Profile
Re: Brock's Pre-Beta Opinion of the new Development Blog
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 09:37:43 am »

- My biggest pet peeve however would be the animations. Once again for the most part I am satisfied with the animation set however I feel I could very much help improve certain ones of the set shown so far. In particular the advance arms. Richard I would be very happy to spend some time with you in the near future to speak about how some of these animations could be improved. I'm still very happy with the progress you've made so far though, cheers.

A: no this isn't a reenactment sim

- Apart from animations I have to say I do strongly agree and quote a reply from the development update thread. I am not happy with the mechanic of jumping while attacking and defending, I feel in the forthcoming future, this mechanic would work very poorly with players and I feel it would take out a very important gameplay narrative that most would expect from this type of game. I think many feel the same about this.

A: it's a game freedom to do whatever you want is important, controlled gameplay is literally worthless

- Personally not a very big fan of the flags being used as bayonets. Just personal preference I do not like that very much, flags don't have to be useful in the game they are in fact flags and should be used as such. Save this mechanic for Serjeants pikes.

A: we have both, I'm thinking of just making the flags a passive blocking only item. But yes we have spontoons

- When it comes to walking, I personally feel the arms swing a little too much. I feel a 10 to 20% reduction in the swing would be sufficient.

A: it's fine as it is

James Brock

• Rule Brittania!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 08:28:01 pm »

A: no this isn't a reenactment sim

I hope you realize that while the current animation set does look much better than it did before, it is still rather unpolished in general, which is perfectly fine for the beta. I'm just saying it's not what you consider complete and I'm sure many could agree with me on that.

A: it's a game freedom to do whatever you want is important, controlled gameplay is literally worthless

Freedom is important, but there still has to be a certain delivery of that freedom that people understand what mechanics are applicable and which aren't. It's fine doing ridiculous things in fortnight, because its fortnight. It's about how it affects players playing the game and what the community desires from the game. If charges in linebattles means jumping back and forth in melee because its the most effective way to fight, I think you can see why it could be a potential problem and why some people might not like like that. Because I think a larger part of this community right here has certain expectation for a historical game like this and you recognise that, even if we don't see eye to eye with specifics. There is a reason people either love Holdfast or hate it. Same goes for WoR. All I'm saying here is were leaning to the Holfast side with this one mechanic. Anyway this doesn't matter I'm rambling at this point. We'll see when the beta is out for testers.

A: we have both, I'm thinking of just making the flags a passive blocking only item. But yes we have spontoons.

Dope, I'm glad that will be reviewed.

A: it's fine as it is

Alrighty.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:35:08 pm by James Brock »

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 08:38:14 pm »
you always come out with some crap honestly  :D

James Brock

• Rule Brittania!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 08:46:10 pm »

You do see how overly into it I am.
I know it's unhealthy but there isn't much I can do about that.  ;D

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 08:49:58 pm »

I get it just dont burn yourself out and try to smell the roses :)!

James Brock

• Rule Brittania!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 08:51:18 pm »

Freedom is important, but there still has to be a certain delivery of that freedom that people understand what mechanics are applicable and which aren't. It's fine doing ridiculous things in fortnight, because its fortnight. It's about how it affects players playing the game and what the community desires from the game. If charges in linebattles means jumping back and forth in melee because its the most effective way to fight, I think you can see why it could be a potential problem and why some people might not like like that. Because I think a larger part of this community right here has certain expectation for a historical game like this and you recognise that, even if we don't see eye to eye with specifics. There is a reason people either love Holdfast or hate it. Same goes for WoR. All I'm saying here is were leaning to the Holfast side with this one mechanic. Anyway this doesn't matter I'm rambling at this point. We'll see when the beta is out for testers.

I know that's almost completly meaningless to most people.

James Brock

• Rule Brittania!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 08:55:15 pm »

I get it just dont burn yourself out and try to smell the roses :)!

ye, I have such strong opinions about this because of how important it is for me. It's basically an obsession.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 01:55:57 pm »
I also think that jumping and attacking isn't something I would like to see in the game.

Marks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 04:03:45 pm »
I also think that jumping and attacking isn't something I would like to see in the game.

Noted
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:05:35 pm by Marks »

Long Tree

• Fusilier_Lossberg_LongTree
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 01:33:12 am »

i agree its a little over the top for this style of combat

Lance

• 19th_LtCol_Lance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 07:31:08 pm »

i agree its a little over the top for this style of combat

+1