33rdKincaid

• 33rd_LtCol_Kincaid
    • View Profile
    • 33rd Regiment of Foot Website (NW)
Stamina system (RP)
« on: November 09, 2018, 12:32:23 pm »
Hi all,

If this suggestion or something similar has come up before feel free to disregard! It has occurred to me many times when planning more RP orientated events in NW, that if some sort of stamina mechanic were to be introduced it would encourage units to run more sparingly and embrace the RP a bit more!

Essentially if it was as simple as a bar next to your health; moving in running mode would obviously reduce stamina steadily, slow gain whilst walking and faster stamina gain whilst stationary. If a player completely depletes their stamina they are restricted to moving in walking mode, adding incentive to conserving some stamina for a prolonged melee or if you need to retreat out of a tricky situation.

I'm thinking that this would add another tactical layer to events, as CO's would have to take into account how drained their troops are; for example you might want to get your men into melee quickly, but if you charge too great a distance then chances are half way through the melee the stamina of your troops is going to have dropped and make them less effective. On the flip side if you and your guys can manage to lock an exhausted unit into melee then you would be at a massive advantage, as they would not only struggle to fight back but couldn't really disengage either.

Of course this would only be geared to more RP events, so potentially a tick box enable for the admin if desired? Do you reckon this would be simple to achieve within the game engine or not worth the work?

Thanks!
Kincaid

Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: Stamina system (RP)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 12:50:49 pm »
We want consistent gameplay, we feel adding stamina would take away from the experience. Players in our game don't move too quickly and we're aiming for 2 rank & file play (in events) having stamina wouldn't really make sense .

Being killed or stunted by a gameplay mechanic isn't nice, same thing for misfires.

Might be cute for the first 10 hours but we want our game played into the 100s  :D
"Rome wasnt built in a day, it was built at 5am"

33rdKincaid

• 33rd_LtCol_Kincaid
    • View Profile
    • 33rd Regiment of Foot Website (NW)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 01:12:00 pm »
We want consistent gameplay, we feel adding stamina would take away from the experience. Players in our game don't move too quickly and we're aiming for 2 rank & file play (in events) having stamina wouldn't really make sense .

Being killed or stunted by a gameplay mechanic isn't nice, same thing for misfires.

Might be cute for the first 10 hours but we want our game played into the 100s  :D

That's fair enough and I totally agree it would hinder the vast majority of play, hence my suggestion to enable/disable. I appreciate aswell though that putting time into something that won't be required by most players also wouldn't be top of priority :) for certain types of events though it might be helpful and wouldn't have to stunt gameplay too much, as this would depend greatly on how quickly stamina is used and recuperated.

Anyway just throwing ideas around, thanks for the fast response!

Quaker

• Im new, I should probably change this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 08:10:12 pm »
Problem is if you have no stamina system at all you get things like the silly jumping/bunny hopping syndrome we see in Holdfast. This kills immersion and makes it feel totally arcady.

Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 08:14:10 pm »
Problem is if you have no stamina system at all you get things like the silly jumping/bunny hopping syndrome we see in Holdfast. This kills immersion and makes it feel totally arcady.

Or just add a delay between jumping, you could just jump around during a battle in real life   ;D

"Rome wasnt built in a day, it was built at 5am"