Merfie

• mod of the year
    • View Profile
Re: How big is too big? - Player count.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 01:37:49 am »
I think people expecting a 2017 game to run well on a 2010 Laptop are asking for a bit much. Unreal runs pretty well when it's allowed to.

Point being, you don't want to alienate a chunk of your potential community.

They all bring in cash dolla.

Yes but if the game doesn't offer reasonable improvements that you'd expect from a game coming out 5 years after Napoleonic Wars and nearly a full decade after the original Mount and Blade you might not bring in the community anyway. Obviously it's a tricky balance but I'm of the opinion that most people won't pay for a game that's only a warband mod that's running in Unreal engine.

It is important not to alienated people without hideously powerful PC's but if NW is all they can run and they already have it, are they going to buy a new game anyway? I think it is important to make this game look and feel up to date even if some people's PC's can't run it very well.

If the game doesn't cater to the majority, best of luck filling your 500 slot server.
Ensign John Mandeville, 3rd East Kent Regt. - The Buffs.

Baillie

• Ex Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 02:03:48 pm »
Laptops can handle most games with reduced graphics. I played some Blackwake on my laptop in 720p and it was still fun, despite the awful graphics settings, due to the fantastic gameplay.

As long as we aim for the best possible gameplay and allow users to set their graphics settings as low as is necessary, no one is being cast away from the game.

Just my opinion.

FancyPants

• 71st Regiment of Foot - Captain Robert Muller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2017, 05:32:10 am »
to all NW newfags: the reason regiments are 10 ppl now is because the game is fucking dead. Back in the day a normal decent sized regiment was 30+

"Live life, fuck you" -Ghandi
Im not a virus, Im a dolphin!

Painmace

• 32nd's Line Company Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 06:56:40 am »
to all NW newfags: the reason regiments are 10 ppl now is because the game is fucking dead. Back in the day a normal decent sized regiment was 30+

*cough cough* what? ;)

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 04:34:00 pm »
Don't just look at slot limits, you also need to focus on balance of gameplay. Look at already hosted 200 man linebattles in NW. You get 15 of the following (usually) Cav, Rifles, Lights. This alone is almost half your team, Not forgetting the arty which is 8~ So for the remaining 50 players which is probably split between 4 / 5 regiments. Gameplay is not enjoyable because line just get bum raped by everyone else. I'd suggest looking at 300 slots, because that way. 100 players of your team would be line and the balance should sort itself out. (Providing that the event is maxed out)

As for regiments, I feel that regiments should cap their activity as to let other regiments propser aswell as... Otherwise this will make the game die early on because smaller regiments do not stand a chance against larger ones and the community will just be split in an unfair way. For example, the max should be around 50 active players for regiments; This is an easily manageable number and still provides the ego boost all leaders look for.

Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 05:03:09 pm »
NW events are stupid, I dont agree with two Skirmisher slots and i've noticed the increase and popularity of line only events and we're going to make the game balanced dont you worry :)
"Rome wasnt built in a day, it was built at 5am"

Harris1815

• Sharpe Fan and Historian/Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 06:12:31 pm »
This is an easily manageable number and still provides the ego boost all leaders look for.

Thanks my ego was going down recently this helped.

I do agree though but Usually I haven't noticed to recently in the last 2 years smaller regiments having difficulty, but I will say when it came out the only regiments that are still around are the large ones. That counts for mergers aswell.
God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best  ~  Voltaire

Long Tree

• Fusilier_Lossberg_LongTree
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 11:21:37 pm »
This is an easily manageable number and still provides the ego boost all leaders look for.

Thanks my ego was going down recently this helped.

I do agree though but Usually I haven't noticed to recently in the last 2 years smaller regiments having difficulty, but I will say when it came out the only regiments that are still around are the large ones. That counts for mergers aswell.

The problem from what I noticed from NW events is there are too many special units to line units like a 20 man cav unit VS say line regiments no bigger than 11 too many special units means bad event

Alexander

• Thank you sir, may I have another. NOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 02:04:05 pm »
My biggest wish is, that there will be no slot limit for community server because every host should know himself what's good for their server.

Like in Arma 3, Minecraft, GTA...

John Price

• Leader - 18th Royal Irish [WaT] - Leader - 18e NW
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 09:08:27 pm »
My biggest wish is, that there will be no slot limit for community server because every host should know himself what's good for their server.

Like in Arma 3, Minecraft, GTA...
Thats an incredibly impossible request to make. The amount of money it would cost to build infrastructure of that size and structure would be more than possible WaT would ever make (not trying to belittle RSE and WaT but thats just a fact of it).

Arma 3, Minecraft and GTA all have caps on their servers. Just because those player caps are not made public (GTA) does not mean that they do not exist, it just means that you have been automatically instanced into a server which has space for you.

Minecraft you can choose to show the player cap or not depending on the amount of RAM you dedicate to each server you host.
Leading the 18e since June 2012 - Community since 2011

Long Tree

• Fusilier_Lossberg_LongTree
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 07:29:18 pm »
Well said I think the most amount of peoele I would want would be 400 and thing else would be to big

Alexander

• Thank you sir, may I have another. NOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 08:34:35 pm »
Oh ok... I don't like Player-Slot limits at all.
Because every host should know himself what's the best. Every host should define their own player slots without limitations.

Otherwise I'd like to have between 250 and 600.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:39:12 pm by Alexander »

116th_Lord_OliverZouch

• FOR HONNOR & GLORY
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2018, 06:29:17 am »
Oh ok... I don't like Player-Slot limits at all.
Because every host should know himself what's the best. Every host should define their own player slots without limitations.

Otherwise I'd like to have between 250 and 600.

Kind Regards,

Lord_OliverZouch

James Brock

• Rule Brittania!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 04:20:47 pm »
Merfie makes a bunch of great points. We end up talking about big numbers, but realistically there is no formula that those numbers would be run by. In NW 200 Player events are chaotic, and hectic with everyone just already used to it. So you end up with some silly map proportions where one line is on one flank, and the other 6 lines on the other. The so-called battle is just a large skirmish and nothing else. The only way I see large line battles taking place is if servers are run by larger regiments. This brings more organization and strategy so it's actually possible to have 5 or 6 regiments with 60-80 player in each of them. making it much more fun and less hectic. 

As long as the game doesn't become running or skirmish simulator I reckon 300-500 would be great for line battles and 600 even for sieges as marks mentioned.

FancyPants

• 71st Regiment of Foot - Captain Robert Muller
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 04:11:04 pm »

*cough cough* what? ;)
"normal decent sized regiment"
dont slap my face with your massive cock please

"Live life, fuck you" -Ghandi
Im not a virus, Im a dolphin!