Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
How big is too big? - Player count.
« on: March 12, 2017, 07:16:28 pm »
This thread is regarding Server sizeing.

At the moment the community is used to 200 slot server, maybe 250 if you're lucky. This can and has been handled well by event hosters. My question to you is (1) how big is too big? If we can get the game to host 500 players will this ever properly be used or just a one of scenario event (Bunker Hill). (2) Will hosting 500 players get too hectic and messy/stressful?. (3) Could you a regiment leader handle owning a larger regiment? As it stands regiments are capped at 30/40 players in an event due to a server amount, I feel this number is controllable. How would handling 60/80 players be for you?

Just some questions I've been thinking about. Keep in mind this is aimed at people who own/wish to run regiments.

"Rome wasnt built in a day, it was built at 5am"

Re: How big is too big? - Player count.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 07:28:00 pm »
Honestly, the bigger the better in my opinion. However, then it becomes harder to keep organized and you'll have get bigger servers. And realistically I don't expect to be in a reg that brings 60+ people per event. I'd say 200-250 is perfectly fine.

Long Tree

• Fusilier_Lossberg_LongTree
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 07:33:54 pm »
250 is a good size cause you can even it out

Jelly

• stingin roger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 09:00:19 pm »
i imagine that handling larger numbers of players would give subalterns a more active job in a battle, as opposed to their role in NW which generally sees them simply taking over command when the CO is killed or leading the occasional round

Merfie

• mod of the year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 09:18:26 pm »
i imagine that handling larger numbers of players would give subalterns a more active job in a battle, as opposed to their role in NW which generally sees them simply taking over command when the CO is killed or leading the occasional round

You forget that the majority of regiments do not have adequate enough numbers in order to effectively divide their regiment into smaller units during events. I feel that if these regiments start to delegate groups of men to their subalterns, the map will just be littered with dozens of small, incompetent and frankly useless lines.

500 slots is most certainly too large, aside from organised historical linebattles, I don't think it will be used effectively.

250-300 slots is most certainly more manageable - More than NW, allowing more regiments to take part in events, but not too many slots that would result in messy/laggy and generally shite events.
Ensign John Mandeville, 3rd East Kent Regt. - The Buffs.

Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 09:39:49 pm »

You forget that the majority of regiments do not have adequate enough numbers in order to effectively divide their regiment into smaller units during events. I feel that if these regiments start to delegate groups of men to their subalterns, the map will just be littered with dozens of small, incompetent and frankly useless lines.

500 slots is most certainly too large, aside from organised historical linebattles, I don't think it will be used effectively.

250-300 slots is most certainly more manageable - More than NW, allowing more regiments to take part in events, but not too many slots that would result in messy/laggy and generally shite events.

What im thinking. I think the game mode we're all used to called "battle" in NW certainly maxs out at 250/300. But lets say a server thats mostly siege? I think 500 players publicly would be pretty epic. I think the option to have 500 should be there because freedom is very open.

Merfie

• mod of the year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 12:37:06 am »

What im thinking. I think the game mode we're all used to called "battle" in NW certainly maxs out at 250/300. But lets say a server thats mostly siege? I think 500 players publicly would be pretty epic. I think the option to have 500 should be there because freedom is very open.

I'm not saying that the option shouldn't be there, I just feel that without proper event organisation it would just turn into absolute chaos.

Painmace

• 32nd's Line Company Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 10:07:47 am »
200 people is a large number already, only problem (personally) is that the groups are usually 10 people or less. If the groups where bigger 20+ would be more exciting as a whole. 250 would be a nice treat, aslong it dosent remove other features.

Baillie

• Ex Team Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 11:25:34 am »
Aim for as big as possible, let the event organizers set their own limit for their own event!

Merfie

• mod of the year
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:44:09 pm »
Aim for as big as possible, let the event organizers set their own limit for their own event!

Is it possible to offer 500 slot servers, whilst making it optimized enough for smooth gameplay - even for those with peasant computers?

A large proportion of Indy game players have potato computers, either because they're too young to buy their own, or don't have enough time invested into games to warrant the purchase of a better system.

Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 12:59:04 pm »
I think people expecting a 2017 game to run well on a 2010 Laptop are asking for a bit much. Unreal runs pretty well when it's allowed to. 

Conway

• Marks made me do it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 07:04:22 pm »
I'd 300-400 player servers may be the best. Running events in my experience is very easy so long as you don't have specialties such as Skirmishers or Cavalry drop out at the last minutes. You can usually balance lines in 2 minutes so long as there is enough. The bigger the regiment the easier it is to run. As long as you're careful and not an ass to your command staff then they'll usually do all the work for you and won't leave with half your regiment.

Merfie

• mod of the year
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 07:35:49 pm »
I think people expecting a 2017 game to run well on a 2010 Laptop are asking for a bit much. Unreal runs pretty well when it's allowed to.

Point being, you don't want to alienate a chunk of your potential community.

They all bring in cash dolla.

Titus

• SjtMaj 32nd Regiment
    • View Profile
    • 32nd RoF Website
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 09:13:19 pm »

Point being, you don't want to alienate a chunk of your potential community.

They all bring in cash dolla.

Yes but if the game doesn't offer reasonable improvements that you'd expect from a game coming out 5 years after Napoleonic Wars and nearly a full decade after the original Mount and Blade you might not bring in the community anyway. Obviously it's a tricky balance but I'm of the opinion that most people won't pay for a game that's only a warband mod that's running in Unreal engine.

It is important not to alienated people without hideously powerful PC's but if NW is all they can run and they already have it, are they going to buy a new game anyway? I think it is important to make this game look and feel up to date even if some people's PC's can't run it very well.
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 09:39:06 pm »
I would like to see large servers so regiments want to grow bigger. Why? I would love to see the need of ranks. Caus in like in NW you see a Colonel leading 5 men lines while a corporal should do that. Many high ranks are distrubeted while the meaning of the rank disapeare. I say go for it. If event hosts find it hard to manage bring in more admins and have close contacts with regimental officers. And people should just stick to the rules of the event for once.... Go for it ^^