Neoptolemus

• RSE Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Development Note - Steam Store & Trailer.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 03:04:02 pm »
Really quick question - I've mentioned before that from the off I was really enthused by the excellent attention to detail with animations, particularly the shoulder arms (left-shoulder) in one of the early blogs ( http://rsegames.com/index.php?topic=174.0#forum ) - which as far as I know wasn't ever possible with the NW skeleton as the right hand had to always be in contact with the musket in the same place.

I've noticed however that most of the more recent blogs have depicted the musket being held at the advance arms (right-hand shoulder); has this been dependant on whether the character is in melee/shooting mode or has the old animation been scrapped?

thanks! :)

The old blogs were using the old skeleton which was limiting to say the least. The new one we got in around March forced us to make all new animations. What you're seeing now in blogs is all placeholder until we have an animator to come in to make us some stuff. The old stuff has been scrapped but I did like them more.

Thanks for the clarification! glad to hear that we may see them again.

I remember HF devs saying that they originally had more authentic animations but due to bugs and issues with them they opted for the old NW form of sticking at the port arms through everything. It would be fantastic if the 'right-hand staying connected' wasn't an issue with WaT... light infantry types I'm sure would love running about at the trail! :3

Keep it up, can't wait to see how things develop.

The right-hand connect issue isn't a problem, in fact we can switch hands quite happily:

The only reason we keep the musket in the right hand at the moment is just because I was doing all the animations by myself, along with programming and scripting work, so I had to keep them simple to reduce my workload. When we have a dedicated animator though, we'll be making some really authentic animations :)

33rdKincaid

• 33rd_LtCol_Kincaid
    • View Profile
    • 33rd Regiment of Foot Website (NW)
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 05:38:48 pm »
Really quick question - I've mentioned before that from the off I was really enthused by the excellent attention to detail with animations, particularly the shoulder arms (left-shoulder) in one of the early blogs ( http://rsegames.com/index.php?topic=174.0#forum ) - which as far as I know wasn't ever possible with the NW skeleton as the right hand had to always be in contact with the musket in the same place.

I've noticed however that most of the more recent blogs have depicted the musket being held at the advance arms (right-hand shoulder); has this been dependant on whether the character is in melee/shooting mode or has the old animation been scrapped?

thanks! :)

The old blogs were using the old skeleton which was limiting to say the least. The new one we got in around March forced us to make all new animations. What you're seeing now in blogs is all placeholder until we have an animator to come in to make us some stuff. The old stuff has been scrapped but I did like them more.

Thanks for the clarification! glad to hear that we may see them again.

I remember HF devs saying that they originally had more authentic animations but due to bugs and issues with them they opted for the old NW form of sticking at the port arms through everything. It would be fantastic if the 'right-hand staying connected' wasn't an issue with WaT... light infantry types I'm sure would love running about at the trail! :3

Keep it up, can't wait to see how things develop.

The right-hand connect issue isn't a problem, in fact we can switch hands quite happily:
Spoiler: show

The only reason we keep the musket in the right hand at the moment is just because I was doing all the animations by myself, along with programming and scripting work, so I had to keep them simple to reduce my workload. When we have a dedicated animator though, we'll be making some really authentic animations :)

Great to hear, backed up with that fantastic animation :) consider me hyped.

James Brock

• Rule Brittania!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2018, 11:00:55 pm »
Next step is to get our Alpha build approved.

It looks like Valve has overhauled their approval process and it seems pretty robust now. We actually had someone install and fire up the game and play on our server, and the feedback they gave was quite detailed. We've made the changes they requested (mostly rewording some stuff on the store page to reflect the fact that not all features planned are in the current build).

Hopefully we'll get the thumbs up in a day or so.