Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Development Blog 11 - Melee, weapons, Alpha. [Part 1]
« on: June 30, 2018, 05:07:49 pm »

It's been a while...

Hello and welcome to PART 1 of blog 11! This part of the blog will demonstrate what we have been working on this includes Melee, weapons, UI and animations. We've also changed alot under the hood, visually the game looks, feels and plays much smoother.

Here's a video. (nerves return)

I didn't really show off feinting too well in this video, next one I will be sure to cover it.

Other news.

Alpha - It's around the corner. As of today [30/06/18] we are able to join and play on our dedicated server, alpha testers will be allowed to join once we've ironed out some issues.

Playable units - We've created alot of uniforms which we wanted to be playable in Alpha but due to the fact we changed our skeleton, the rigging for these meshes isnt compatible. Our Modeler Makii left the team again, no reason given. His role was to update these meshes with correct rigging, until this is completed we can only offer what is shown in the video above in alpha.

Kickstarter
- Yes, we're interested in running a kickstarter. As mentioned above we are without an experienced character artist and without money to pay for one kickstarter is our only option.

Some screenshots

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

Past blogs

Dev Blog 11
Dev Blog 10
Dev Blog 9
Dev Blog 8
Dev Blog 7
Dev Blog 6
Dev Blog 5
Dev Blog 4
Dev Blog 3
Dev Blog 2
Dev Blog 1

Steam Community.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WhigsTories

Donate for more content in our donator board. Information about that here

Until the next blog.
The RSE Boys.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 10:11:27 pm by Marks »
"Rome wasnt built in a day, it was built at 5am"

Northumberland Fusiliers Official

• 5th Regiment of Foot Official Forum Account!
    • View Profile
Re: Development Blog 11 - Melee, weapons, Alpha. [Part 1]
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 05:18:16 pm »
Great Job RSE, Can't wait to test it out! Keep up the good work!!

Alexander

• Thank you sir, may I have another. NOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 05:27:22 pm »
I agree with 7th Fusiliers Official. But the most interesting part is the equipment chosing option. One thing that gives me a big ? is the part of the shoulder animation at the beginning. After you spawned your musket was on your left shoulder and after you've moved it's on the right shoulder and hold his musket in an interesting way for whatever reason.

I'm still excited to see more of it! Great work!

Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 05:28:31 pm »
I agree with 7th Fusiliers Official. But the most interesting part is the equipment chosing option. One thing that gives me a big ? is the part of the shoulder animation at the beginning. After you spawned your musket was on your left shoulder and after you've moved it's on the right shoulder and hold his musket in an interesting way for whatever reason.

blending and ironing out anis, ill let richard reply to this properly

Long Tree

• Fusilier_Lossberg_LongTree
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 05:29:22 pm »
Neat

Neoptolemus

• RSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 05:44:18 pm »

blending and ironing out anis, ill let richard reply to this properly

Yeah, so basically items can be attached to either hand when equipped, or holstered on the left/right hip or slung across the shoulder.

Weapons generally are attached to the right hand in most cases, but they can switch hands on the fly as needed (e.g. the reload animation where he holds the musket in the left hand while filling the pan, priming the barrel etc.)

There is usually a 0.2s blend between animations to make them look seamless and not so stiff, but when switching hands this can lead to a 0.2s period of time where a musket is switching over from one hand to another, leading to noticeable flicker.

We recently changed our animations to reduce the amount the musket has to switch hands and thereby reduce potential flicker, but some bits and pieces still need attention.

For some reason, the effect is magnified by playing online vs locally. I'm not sure why this is, but it's one of my top priorities.

TLDR: it's a visual bug which I'm fixing :-)

Lawrence

• RSE Moderator | 71st Lt. Colonel William Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 06:43:49 pm »
Congratulations! Looking phenomenal!

"I don't know what America looks like, I just make this game off what I think it looks like" - Marks

Connor

• Love Ur ideas Mark
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 08:38:54 pm »
Looking good! :)
Yeet

James Brock

• Rule Brittania!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 09:51:34 pm »

I invite you all to my warm invite-only alpha party once we get keys.  8)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 09:15:12 pm »
Great work! The uniforms and terrain look stunning and the buildings are amazingly realistic. I do have three questions however. How far will customization be implicated into the go (as far as custom uniforms for each regiment?) and also do you plan on having multiple factions on each team? Finally, how many players do you think you will be able to, or plan on being able to, support on the multiplayer platform/system?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!
—PRStudios (NW Uniform Turkey)

Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 09:45:40 pm »
Great work! The uniforms and terrain look stunning and the buildings are amazingly realistic. I do have three questions however. [1] How far will customization be implicated into the go (as far as custom uniforms for each regiment?) and also [2] do you plan on having multiple factions on each team? Finally, [3] how many players do you think you will be able to, or plan on being able to, support on the multiplayer platform/system?

Alot of questions here so I numbered them :p

[1] - We want players to feel they have an identity but we also want regiments to feel like a common unit (as in they look the same/uniform) we will allow players to change what was shown ingame as well as later down the line custom faces and banners.

[2] Yes

[3] I could say some numbers but really we dont 100% know till we try. Jesse (our networking guru) is creating a system from scratch not easy. He's mentioned some numbers but we will explain all that in our kickstarter with evidence.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 11:37:46 pm »
Great work! The uniforms and terrain look stunning and the buildings are amazingly realistic. I do have three questions however. [1] How far will customization be implicated into the go (as far as custom uniforms for each regiment?) and also [2] do you plan on having multiple factions on each team? Finally, [3] how many players do you think you will be able to, or plan on being able to, support on the multiplayer platform/system?

[1] - We want players to feel they have an identity but we also want regiments to feel like a common unit (as in they look the same/uniform) we will allow players to change what was shown ingame as well as later down the line custom faces and banners.

[2] Yes

[3] I could say some numbers but really we dont 100% know till we try. Jesse (our networking guru) is creating a system from scratch not easy. He's mentioned some numbers but we will explain all that in our kickstarter with evidence.

Alright. I don't think you answered my first question; it's regiment specific, character specific. Will officers, or other NCO's, be able to edit their regiment's overall look for events and multiplayer battles?

Besides, that I'm happy with the info, and keep up the good work!

Shapour

• Musket Lover, brown bess preferably!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 08:25:51 am »
Awesome! It worthed the time I was waiting hard for this blog!
Go on RSE!

Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 11:11:20 am »

[2] Yes

Alright. I don't think you answered my first question; it's regiment specific, character specific. Will officers, or other NCO's, be able to edit their regiment's overall look for events and multiplayer battles?

Besides, that I'm happy with the info, and keep up the good work!

No, itll be down to each player.

good :)

Awesome! It worthed the time I was waiting hard for this blog!
Go on RSE!

Thank you for the support means a lot!

Jelly

• stingin roger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 11:48:37 am »
i'll mesh for you marksy