Alexander

• Thank you sir, may I have another. NOT!
    • View Profile
MANUAL OF ARMS [In-Game]
« on: January 28, 2018, 10:29:18 am »
Servus guys! Let's talk about Manual of Arms for the Game.

Here are my suggestions for animation... and stuff... i guess...

- [Standard] Shoulder firelock, (shoulder arms only with bayonet fixed)
-
Fix Bayonet, Unfix Bayonet
Charge Bayonet
Make Ready, Take Aim / Present, Fire
Present Firelock/Arms (Arms when with fixed bayonet)
Rest your Firelock (same thing again)
Order your Firelock (same thing again, from the Rest your Firelock)
Ground your Firelock/Arms
Take up your Firelock/Arms
Secure your Firelock/Arms
Support Arms/Firelock
Advance Arms (mostly used by NCOs, they shoulder their muskets on the right side with 3 fingers (like "shoulder arms" in US-Civil War))

Here is a great video (there are lots of videos about it):

How the buttons work we could talk about it but it should make sense and fluent.

But from one position to make ready with simple mouse click and to present with pressed mouse click would be nice...

It would be a bit similar to War of Rights but the possibility to do it would be sooooo awesome and authentic.

Long Tree

• Fusilier_Lossberg_LongTree
    • View Profile
Re: MANUAL OF ARMS [In-Game]
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:17:35 pm »
Wrong time period

Marks

• Milk, no sugar.
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 03:40:45 pm »
"Rome wasnt built in a day, it was built at 5am"

Neoptolemus

• RSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 09:03:45 pm »
Just so you all know, I'm working on animations at the moment and the video Marks just posted is my reference :)

Lawrence

• RSE Moderator | 71st Lt. Colonel William Fraser
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 06:51:34 pm »
Just so you all know, I'm working on animations at the moment and the video Marks just posted is my reference :)
Good Luck

"I don't know what America looks like, I just make this game off what I think it looks like" - Marks

Fonnipawan

• Im new, I should probably change this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 07:37:01 am »
I have learned many things. It is very good for me to read it.

Severus

• Queens Rangers - Contributor WaT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 05:39:26 am »
If the animations were more fluid, compared to the video where he almost seems a tad robotic, I think it would be just perfect!  :)

FancyPants

• 71st Regiment of Foot - Captain Robert Muller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:52:05 am »
Having a button for every single movement for aiming. That sounds fun..

"Live life, fuck you" -Ghandi
Im not a virus, Im a dolphin!

Lawrence

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 05:20:41 pm »
Having a button for every single movement for aiming. That sounds fun..
IT SURE WOULD!

"I don't know what America looks like, I just make this game off what I think it looks like" - Marks

James Brock

• Rule Brittania!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 07:06:48 pm »

Just so you're aware, the manual was strictly considered a training exercise and mainly used on parade. Obviously, battlefield tactics are based on the manual but small inconsistencies like putting on a bayonet while the musket is in the air or reloading the gun in the air are just untrue and would never be used in a combat situation.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:10:51 pm by James Brock »

Neoptolemus

• RSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 08:18:34 pm »

Just so you're aware, the manual was strictly considered a training exercise and mainly used on parade. Obviously, battlefield tactics are based on the manual but small inconsistencies like putting on a bayonet while the musket is in the air or reloading the gun in the air are just untrue and would never be used in a combat situation.

Yeah, the other thing to consider is playability. The first presenting animation I had went from shoulder arms, brought the musket in front of him pointing up, cocked it with the right thumb and then aimed. It looked great, but it took 3 seconds to present which became problematic in-game. Speeding up the animation to shorten the time just made it look silly.

Right now many of our animations are compromises between having something that looks somewhat authentic, but doesn't impact gameplay. We will be reviewing them after Alpha to see where we can improve as I'm not happy with a lot of them (particularly walking and running), but right now they'll do for Alpha.

Lawrence

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 11:08:41 pm »

Yeah, the other thing to consider is playability. The first presenting animation I had went from shoulder arms, brought the musket in front of him pointing up, cocked it with the right thumb and then aimed. It looked great, but it took 3 seconds to present which became problematic in-game. Speeding up the animation to shorten the time just made it look silly.

Right now many of our animations are compromises between having something that looks somewhat authentic, but doesn't impact gameplay. We will be reviewing them after Alpha to see where we can improve as I'm not happy with a lot of them (particularly walking and running), but right now they'll do for Alpha.
I agree. I'd rather have reasonable playability in terms of the animations than being perfectly authentic.

JerseyGray

• Im new, I should probably change this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 09:30:40 pm »
i do hope they'll change by year if its not too much programming? 

British should certainly be using His Majesties Manual of 1764 as should the Americans until  March-ish 1778.    Also for the love of God, no 3 rank firing!  And do keep in mind Lord Howe's orders for spacing!   Soldiers should NOT be shoulder to shoulder as commonly thought...at least not all the time! 

Do forgive me if im being redundant....im just thinking of Empires TW's mistakes along with the most common myths.